Student visa subclass 500
With this visa the applicant must follow the Department of Home Affair criteria:
- be and stay enrolled in a eligible course of study in Australia (CRICOS)
- hold a Overseas Student health Cover (OSHC), unless exempt
- have sufficient funds before apply
- be a genuine temporary entrant (proof that you intent to stay temporarily in Australia while studying)
- be a good character
For more info and more conditions see here.
Normally with a Student visa, the main applicant can only work up to 40 hours fortnightly except for school holidays and when the course has ended. The secondary applicant (partner) can ONLY work up to 40 hours fortnightly even when the school is on holiday.
The recent update has lifted the work restriction until further notice.
- Student visa holders can work full time from 19th January 2022 until further notice. This is valid for all sectors of the economy and it applies also to the secondary applicant.
Commencement of Course and Work
Normally the Student visa holders cannot start working before the course has started, but from 19th January 2022 this condition has been lifted. Students can start working from the first day they enter Australia.
The cost of the Student visa is $630 Doha fees plus extra fees for secondary applicant.
The recent updates are:
- A Student visa holder who is currently offshore and arrive in Australia between 19 January 2022 and 19 March 2022 can apply for a refund of their visa application charge. The student will still have to pay the fee the time of the application. You can find more information on how to get a refund here. To be eligible for the refund the applicant must be in Australia and submit the request before 31st of December 2022. You can apply for the refund here.
- A Student visa applicant/ holder could ask for an exemption on the fee of this visa if the visa was held on or after 1 February 2020 and, because of Covid-19, the Student visa holder couldn’t complete the course within the original visa validity.
On the Department of Home Affair website you will find the official processing times (they can change). At the moment the DOHA is giving priority to Student visa offshore application to allow more students to come and study in Australia. The Department of Home Affair processes:
- 25% of the Visa in 7 days
- 50% of the Visa in 14 days
- 75% of the Visa in 48 days
- 90% of the Visa in 85 days
The Department of Home affair is suggesting applicants to apply at least 6 weeks prior to the commencement of the course due to the high volume of applications.
To book a consultation with one of our education agent just call us on (08) 6117 4152 or write us at email@example.com or click on this following like to book your appointment https://www.getyourvisa.com.